Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sandy, Donkey, and Kristabelle

A few years ago, I started making the nativity ornaments for my friend, Lisa.  The first year, she got the three kings.  I did them first because Lisa is half Puerto Rican and she celebrates Three Kings' Day in January.  These were one of my very first posts to this blog!  The second year, I made the holy family for her.  I got behind on ornaments in 2011, so I didn't get any made for her.  (Oh, the shame!)

This year, I decided to add some animals.  I was going to do a donkey, a camel, and a cow.  When I looked through my patterns, I couldn't decide which camel to make since I really liked both of the patterns.  I wound up doing them both and scratching the cow.  I did a Google search for "nativity camel" to get inspired with some ideas for dressing them up a little.  Here are my finished products.

DONKEY


I didn't make any changes to him.  He was very quick to stitch up.




KRISTABELLE


I added a halter to her face and neck.  In the original patterns, she's wearing a Santa hat.  (I don't know why.)  I ditched that and borrowed the ears from the pattern for Sandy.




 SANDY


On the pattern, there's a little point on her butt that's supposed to be a tail.  I decided to give her a bigger tail, so I made one like Kristabelle's.  Then I promptly forgot to stitch it on!  I didn't realize it until it was too late.  Sandy will just have to be tail-less.  I added some fancy rugs/blankets/robes/whatever you want to call them and copied the fringe from the Donkey pattern.

I think these will make a great addition to Lisa's nativity collection!  Next year . . . a shepherd and sheep!


1 comment:

  1. they are great. do you have there the patterns also for :)

    ReplyDelete