Thursday, October 4, 2012

Touchdown Tommy -- Steelers Style

This post can aptly be subtitled, How To Over-think an Ornament

 Our friend's son, Luke -- owner of last year's squirrel wearing aviator sunglasses ornament -- requested a Pittsburgh Steelers football player this year.  I know what their traditional uniform looks like:  black jersey, yellow pants, and black helmet.  Blech.  That won't show up well on a Christmas tree!!

I did a little research and turned up these uniform options:



I decided that top left one had the most potential for showing up well against the green branches of a tree.  I cut it all out, including the little yellow, blue, and red diamonds for the emblem on the helmet.  I stitched them all to the little white circle and was pretty impressed with myself.  Feeling extra big for my britches, I actually stitched STEELERS on it, too.  (Hold your applause, please.)  Then, I looked at this graphic again and realized I had a problem. 

According to the Carolyn DeAngelis pattern, Touchdown Tommy is facing left.  According to this graphic, the side of the helmet facing left has no emblem on it.  What's an OCD girl to do?  Flip the pattern and make him face right, of course!  And in the midst of all my efforts to over-achieve, I neglected to realize that I had reversed the yellow and blue diamonds.


Well, great.  Now the Pro Football Hall of Fame will NEVER exhibit this ornament in their Steelers section!  And Luke will probably bust me on it, too.  Oh, well . . . I think he still looks pretty darned good!



1 comment:

  1. Great job. Luke is a lucky fellow.
    We have been commissioned to do 17 soccer ornaments for a girl's team. Almost finished. Will send pictures when finished.

    Did you get the pictures of the mermaid?

    Janet

    ReplyDelete