Sunday, August 9, 2015

West Holmes Knight

I shared in an earlier post that Mariah would be starting high school this fall.  Our school's mascot is a knight, so I knew I wanted to make that into an ornament somehow.  I didn't really see a Carolyn DeAngelis pattern that I could adapt easily.  Since I can't draw, I knew I needed to buy some clipart.  I headed over to Etsy and did a search for "knight clipart."  That led me to this set, which I ultimately bought.  $6 is a bargain for the amount of images you get.

I was particularly taken by this one:





A suicide mission in terms of making an ornament, right?  Feeling bold, I decided to take the plunge and convert this to a pattern.  I really wasn't in love with the horse's head.   For starters, it's to cartoonish for me and not the look I was going for.  Secondly, I didn't like the head covering thing.  I did a Google search for horse clipart and came across this:




I figured I could do a head transplant and make something work!  It took awhile to get the pieces right and it took even longer to stitch the ornament, but it was TOTALLY worth it because I think this is probably the most magnificent ornament I've made so far.  See what you think:





And to give you an idea of the scale:  





I'm not gonna lie . . . this was a beast.  I had about 15 hours of stitching time in it and that doesn't include the time it took to design the pattern or cut the pieces.  But it was totally worth it, don't you think??  Mariah LOVES it!

I posted a picture of it on Facebook and told people they could, indeed, place orders.  The selling price?  One million dollars!  I can tell you for sure that this is a one-of-a-kind!

DISCLAIMERS:

In case anyone happens by and thinks I've stolen someone else's work or thinks I'm profiting from it:


  • purchased the clip-art.  I did not do a "right click/save as."
  • I am not selling a pattern made from this clip-art.  I'm not even giving away a pattern made from this clip-art.  
  • I am not selling ornaments made from this clip-art.  


2 comments: