Sunday, August 23, 2015

Tinkerbell

This is an ornament I wanted to make in 2014 to commemorate our trip to Disney.  I didn't have a pattern and ran out of time to design something, so it just didn't get done.  I'm glad I waited because something showed up on Pinterest this year that worked great!  First . . . a little back story.

Mariah had never been to Disney and we didn't want her to be any older before she went.  Scott had sworn about 20 years ago that he would NEVER go again, so I really had to exercise the power of persuasion to get him on board.  We decided to go in the fall when it would still be warm and the crowds would be low.  We pulled Mariah out of school for 2 days -- we are THOSE parents -- and flew down for a long weekend.  At that time of year, there's a special event called Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.  The park opens after hours and everyone is in costume.  There's a special parade, special fireworks, etc.

Mariah had NO idea about this trip.  It was a complete surprise.  We picked her up from school at lunch time and drove straight to the airport.  We told her when we left school where we were going.  We did not, however, say one word to her about the Halloween event.  Unbeknownst to her, I had made costumes for all three of us.  I worked on them during the day when she was in school and had them stashed in our storage room.  

Our first day at Disney World was great.  Mariah bought the customary Minnie ears and wore them for the duration: 




We told her we were coming back to the hotel to rest for a bit and then go out to dinner.  When we got back to our room, we asked her to open one of our suitcases.  (It had all the costumes in it.)



Mariah was Tinkerbell, Scott was Woody, and I was Minnie.  Here are a few shots of us as we headed out for a really fun evening.  






I had big plans for making all three ornaments, but that didn't happen.  I had kind of let it go when I saw this on Pinterest:





I couldn't track down an actual pattern, so I used this as inspiration to design something and here's what I came up with:





Mariah loves it and it's the perfect souvenir for a really happy memory . . . even if it is a year late!

5 comments:

  1. Nice Job Amy... It looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! My name is Delia and I'm from Mexico. I've been trying to make this kind of ornaments but i have failed on my try. I was wondering if you could tell me where i can find the patterns of these precious ornaments. Thank you so much in advance.
    Ps. I really love your blog. (I borrowed the google account from my daughter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delia -- if you will send me an email to feltornaments@yahoo.com, I can hook you up with some patterns! AMY

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy! My name is Delia and I'm from Mexico. I've been trying to make this kind of ornaments but i have failed on my try. I was wondering if you could tell me where i can find the patterns of these precious ornaments. Thank you so much in advance.
    Ps. I really love your blog. (I borrowed the google account from my daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, This may not be the appropriate place to comment, but I have been a fan of the felt ornaments created by Carolyn DeAngelis since the mid-70's. I have a renewed interest and luckily I remembered part of her name and finally ran across it on an Etsy site. I sent an email to you a few days ago requesting information on how to get patterns, but haven't heard back. I realize it's only been a few days, but now that I found you, I'm just over anxious. I clustered a few of my ornaments together for a photo shoot the other day, but I don't see where I can add a photo. Anyway - looking forward to hearing from you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete