Thursday, July 24, 2014

Solo Sam

Caleb is our not-quite-son.  It's too long a story, but suffice it to say he's a little souvenir we picked up on a mission trip and he now lives with us when he's not in college.  He's a vocal music education major and participates in a performance group that performs scenes from various operas.  I was really struggling with what ornament to make him this year.  Then I took a glance at the Solo Sam pattern and realized it was perfect.

This spring, Caleb sang the lead part in this song in the opera scenes performance.  No -- that's not actually Caleb, but just a video from You Tube.  (But he did sound that good, if I do say so myself!)  The kids were holding these big fake ice cream cones that they were pretending to lick -- it was hilarious.



Here was Caleb the night of the performance:


I have no idea why the costume person thought a white shirt with a cream-colored suit was a good idea, but I decided that was too boring for an ornament!  I left off the arm band the pattern called for and gave him a striped bowtie like the one he wore.  I borrowed the pattern pieces for the ice cream cone from the Jodi pattern and stuck that in his hand.  He turned out perfect and I know Caleb will LOVE him!


No comments:

Post a Comment