Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Astro Andy

As I've told you before, my patterns were given to me by my friend, Ouida.  She and her mother, Marjorie, started buying the patterns directly from Carolyn DeAngelis back in the 1970's.  They used to be advertised in the back of magazines like Family Circle, Woman's Day, and McCall's.  (Anybody remember those?)  When Marjorie became unable to stitch anymore, Ouida gave me all her patterns.  I distinctly remember when this occurred, too.  We had met Bill & Ouida in Nashville, TN for a weekend trip to see Ricky Skaggs at the Ryman Auditorium.  (If any of you ornament stitchers are also avid bluegrass fans, let me know at once so we can become best friends.)

Anyhoo . . . I can remember sitting in our hotel room with the box of patterns on the bed.  I was nearly in tears and Scott couldn't understand why.  For starters, I explained to him, these patterns aren't made anymore.  I considered it kind of a lost art and someone had just handed me a treasure box from the past!  Secondly, I know how much Ouida and her mother had enjoyed sharing patterns and crafting together over the years.  I was touched that she had given me something that belonged to her mother and felt so personal.  I have no doubt Marjorie would've enjoyed reading this blog and seeing all of our ornaments!

That night in the hotel room, I remember thinking that the Astro Andy pattern was awfully cute.  I don't know why, but he just never has made the cut since then.  Last week, I decided his time had come.  I was looking at the pattern on my computer and thinking he could use some improvement.





(Anybody but me notice that the flag is backward??)  I didn't like the details on the suit.  It looks like he ripped his clothes and his mom mended them!  I also thought the helmet opening wasn't quite right somehow.  I almost passed on him, but decided to have a look at the pieces.  I got out the tattered envelope containing the paper pattern from Marjorie's collection.  As I spilled out the contents, a surprise came out.  It was this picture clipped from a magazine:



Clearly, Marjorie and I had the same thought!  It was like she'd left me a little present.  I loved some of the details on this one -- particularly that you could see more of the face.  I used this little photo to make some changes to the pattern and created this:


If you're wondering what the white spots are on his head, they're actually a glare.  I inserted a piece of clear vinyl for a face shield.  I was already contemplating using vinyl in an upcoming snorkeling ornament, so I decided to give it a test run.  It was a little time consuming because the vinyl was slippery, but the finished product made it worth the effort.  I LOVE HIM!  The shiny parts are that silvery fabric you've seen me use before.  (For the record, I did NOT mean for that bottom piece to wind up looking like a codpiece -- LOL!)  The flag stick is a wooden toothpick that I clipped the ends from and painted silver.  Don't let the flag scare you -- you could buy some pre-made miniature flags at the craft store if you don't want to mess with stitching one.  He was actually relatively quick.  Give him a try!

(What do you think, Ouida?  Would this get the Marjorie seal of approval??)

1 comment:

  1. Nice changes. Did I send you a picture of the one we did? He was a big seller. We will have to do him again.

    ReplyDelete