Monday, November 21, 2016

Goldie

Our family really enjoyed watching the Olympics this summer.  Especially the women's gymnastics.  I thought an ornament would be a fun way to remember the nights we spent crowded together on the couch watching Team USA conquer the world.  Caleb and Mariah were particularly captivated, so I made one for each of them.  

Step one was to locate some clipart to adapt.  I always go straight to Etsy.  I can almost always find exactly what I'm looking for, it's always affordable, and you can download it instantly.  I found this really cute set for $3.  Step two was to decide on which of the various uniforms to use.  After looking through pictures on the web, I thought this one could be fun with sequins and red glitter felt.




Once I got the pattern drawn up, it was time to cut out and start stitching.  Here's a little lesson on perspective.  I got to this stage and just wasn't happy.  Something didn't look quite right.  I finally decided the facial features were too small and too close together.  I took out the stitches, moved the eyes farther apart, and made the smile bigger and that took care of things.  





I named her Goldie and she turned out great.  I always do my people ornaments with hair and eye color to match the recipient's.  Here are my two ornaments for Caleb and Mariah.  




DISCLAIMERS:

In case anyone happens by and thinks I've stolen someone else's work or thinks I'm profiting from it:

  • purchased the clip-art.  I did not do a "right click/save as."
  • I am not selling a pattern made from this clip-art.  I'm not even giving away a pattern made from this clip-art.  
  • I am not selling ornaments made from this clip-art.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I LOVE them! I've been looking for a gymnast to make my daughter for Christmas, and this may be just the one. Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete